Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Every silver lining has its raincloud...


Haven't blogged in a while. Things are ticking over okay; my weight is stuck around 113kg after a few weeks of minor fluctuations. I have just under a month to try and get as close to 110kg as I can for my next nephrology appointment. My activity levels are pretty good and I've got some holiday over the next couple of weeks that should get me out and about.
I had my second hypothyroidism test ten days ago, whilst I was at the surgery I asked about the results of my second semen test in early July, the receptionist said the most recent test result (which was the one I wanted) had been tagged 'no action'. I said 'I'm not sure what that means', and she said 'neither do I, you'll need to ask a GP'. So last week I got a phone consultation. The doc called me back and says he's very sorry, but he couldn't understand what the results meant. To his credit he called the andrology lab which confirmed it had detected traces of what are known as non-motile spermatozoa. The lab also advised it had just upgraded its equipment (is there a vasectomy pun in there?) and it would be advisable for me to have another test. As it's better to be safe than sorry that's what I am going to do.
After the consultation I did a bit of googling and it turns out non motile sperm is detected after about a third of vasectomies. Pregnancy is highly unlikely from non-motile sperm, but not impossible, hence why doctors are nervous about giving the all clear when they are present. So, I’ve made a third andrology appointment, but I’ve done it for just before my nephrology appointment so I only need to attend the hospital once.
On the positive side I tested negative for hypothyroidism, although that means I lose an excuse for being a fatty and I also need to renew my annual NHS prescription certificate. Every silver lining has its raincloud...

No comments:

Post a Comment